Friday 19 May 2017

Mountain Trike

Yesterday I came home to this in my pile of mail.

Outspoken is the publication from Spinal Cord Injury Ontario - the Not-for-Profit that works to advocate and educated for people with spinal cord injuries. I had written the article back in January (they publish quarterly). I attended the Abilities Expo with my Mom and Dad and thought it would be good for others to learn about some of the new devices that are out there. I am pleased with how the article turned out (with the exception of my misspelled name) - the layout is great and the pictures really add to it. Nice to see Jeff Adams (Canadian Paralympian) in them too - I had a great chat with him at the Expo.

I had not expected to see my face on the cover of the magazine. The photos were taken in November on a rare sunny day. I am sitting in my Mountain Trike. It was something I purchased to be able to get around on my property (10 acres is rather large when on wheels). It is made in the UK and took some time to finally arrive, but I'm happy with it.  This is what it looks like in action in fall and on snow. The wheels are connected to the push handles by bike chains and the steering is on the right handle connected to the third wheel at the back. The breaks are on both handles. It doesn't move as fast as I'd like it to, but it does well on uneven terrain.

This will be my first summer with it so I hope that I will be able to get out into the garden and around the property more than I did last year. I did get out in the snow, but it had to be pretty light and fluffy to get through it!


No comments:

Post a Comment