Monday 8 May 2017

Everywhere I go, there I am

 Even though it was only two weeks ago, it seems like a faraway place and time. This photo was taken in Santa Maria, Cuba where I went with my Mom, sister and sister-in-law, Karla. Girls only. It was a good time to get away, but boy was it hot! I spent most of my time in the pool - which was necessary, as was drinking mojitos - how else would you cool off? Lots of helpful people, good food and fantastic live music.

Not a lot of crazy stories to share - which is a good thing. Other than Sunwing trying to make me use an "out of service" chair to get on the plane resulting in me being the last one on...that was at the Pearson end. In Cuba we had wonderful service at the airport - nothing like four strong, good looking, Cuban men to carry me and my chair down the steps to the tarmack. Sorry, no photo. There is also no photo of the Cuban lifeguard who scooped me out of the ocean and carried me back to my wheelchair - total Baywatch moment - where are all the smartphones when you need them?

We are already talking about going next year. Aside from the lobby and restaurants being at the top of a hill, it was pretty accessible.

The one thing that I didn't expect, but hopefully one day will get used to, is that I was not able to escape my body. Everywhere I go, there I am. Although I did get some time to just chill and not think (I even did a sudoku and read almost a whole book), I always had to be thinking about my next step. How to get out of the pool, off the lounger and where the closest bathroom was. Surprisingly, the bathrooms were very well set up (better than many Canadian bathrooms - I'll save that for another post) it was just a matter of making sure I had given myself enough time (and assistance) to get there. At home I have everything set up in a way that I can manage without too much thought, but whenever I am elsewhere, I have to plan. Planning is exhausting to my brain.

I know that I am not the only one to think this. I am sure that those who have things going on in their own lives are not able to escape them just by getting on a plane - but we all (myself included) should be grateful for the ability to do so. There were people that I was listening to at the airport in Cuba on the way home - they were complaining about the food at their resort. I wanted to interrupt and remind them that they had still been away, in Cuba, on holiday. But I didn't. Instead, I reminded myself. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Atleast I got out of my chair.


2 comments:

  1. I was in Cuba a few weeks ago too, beautiful beaches, and I loved the food, so glad you got to enjoy the sun and ocean and pools

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got away! Now, home to rest... ;)

    ReplyDelete