Monday 21 November 2016

Two hands

I drove Ella and her friends to swimming tonight. While enroute Rich Terfry was telling his audience about the most relaxing songs according to an organization that actually tested songs for these qualities. He then decided to play one (Coldplay) and Ella asked me (from the back seat) to turn it up. My response to her was that she would have to wait because, as we were going around the turn at the bottom of the hill just past The Old Mill, both my hands were occupied. It was this that made me think - humph, I bet most people don't think twice about taking their hands off the wheel to turn up the radio.

My right hand drives the spinner knob, located at the 4 'o'clock position and my left hand drives the hand controlled brake/accelerator lever. For months now my car has been more or less driving itself - with the cruise set between 95 and 100 (most of our road have a legal limit of 90 km/h). So today, when I had to drive with both my hands to deal with the wind and the snow on the roads, I was reminded how nice it had been these last eight or so months. On the way to Wingham, when my face was getting too hot I had to just bare it for I dare not take a hand away.

So as I set out now, in these days of winter, I need to have the radio set on the right station and the fan not blowing full blast because my hands will be doing more important things. Like driving.

2 comments:

  1. You are not the only one who should have 2hands on the wheel are this time of the year, haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - I didn't even THINK about talking about those who may have their hands on their phones...

      Delete