Sunday 17 July 2016

It wasn't the sun

This morning Theo and I drove out to the collision site. I had it in my head that I needed to know that the sun was not in the eyes of the driver, therefore making it difficult for him to see me. Even though both Theo and my friend Steve did this drive just days after the collision; and both reported that it was not, I had to see for myself. And so here it is.

Clearly you can see that on the stretch of road I was riding, the sun was not a factor. It is not even in the front window of the car.
355 days ago, this is what that road looked like at 9:15 am. 

We passed a couple of guys on bikes today, not in exactly the same place, but on the same road. Every time I see people on bikes I wonder, how did he not see me? The other thing I think about is what it used to feel like to ride on those roads. Especially that particular route. When I drive up and down those triathlon hills I think about what it felt like pushing hard to the top, wondering if I would ever make it, and then catching my breath as I screamed down the other side.

We will be away on "the anniversary". Which is just fine by me. It is certainly nothing to celebrate. Except that I am alive.

3 comments:

  1. A mystery we will never understand...
    But -- so thankful you're alive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been an 'avid' reader of your blog since day 1 Julie, and I share your inspiring story whenever I get the chance. Now that you have mentioned something about your thoughts as to how the crash happened, I wonder how much you do know about the driver that hit you? Was he charged? Will there be a trial? How has his life changed since the crash, at least I hope his life has been impacted.

    An Garafraxa Woods Fan Club member,

    Megan Despard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,

    Avid cyclist. Regularly read your blog and re-post at times to my Facebook page.

    I wouldn't have thought of it, but it seems obvious now that you share it with us that you'd want to visit the site yourself...to KNOW for yourself what was going on. May you know peace.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete