Saturday 13 February 2016

Prescription Downhill

We have just arrived home from our first family vacation, post accident. We were at Blue Mountain for "a weekend" except it was the middle of the week. I took up the challenge to go downhill sit-skiing, so for a treat I booked us a suite at the hotel with the outdoor heated pool. This all came about because I belong to Spinal Cord Injury Ontario, a not-for-profit group aimed at making life a little bit easier for people with spinal cord injuries or those who have paralysis for another reason, such as polio. They bring people together to mentor, share information and resources. At the invitation of SCIO we went up to Blue Mountain so that I could try sit-skiing. It was the SCIO major fundraiser with members and sponsors and organizations like Ontario Track3  there to teach those who wanted to learn.


These two awesome men are Kevin and Glenn - my instructors for the day. A couple of compassionate men who volunteer for Track3. Usually they teach kids who want to learn how to sit-ski, but on this day they volunteered to teach all of the adults who wanted to give it a go. So yes, I crossed over to the dark side, rode up the hill in the chairlift and rode down the hill in the sit-ski. They didn't even offer me the bunny hill - straight to the lift! It kind of just felt like being in a toboggan on a really big hill - where I would have the same type of reaction...what the hell was I thinking. Now, for the most part, Glenn was in control of my sled from behind but by the end I was the one controlling the direction we went.

The instructors share the work while on the hill, one with the skier and one watching for any kamikaze skiers coming from above. It just so happens that the streak of red that came down the hill and was my one and only casualty for the day was - Oliver. No harm done, but I think it created a valuable learning opportunity :) As we were leaving, Glenn said that we should come again, that I had potential as a sit skier, and he would hate for it to go to waste! So how do you like that all my Nordic friends? I know; crazy! They ride a chair UP the hill! I was glad for the lift, because even going down the hill as much as I did was too much for my poor back.

Although it ended well, and we all had a great time skiing, I was very unsure about how our time away would go, and how I would fare emotionally. If you know me well, you know winter was my season. The more snow the better. I would find a way to get out, no matter how much wind or cold. Even in the dark (last Christmas I got a head lamp - went out for a ski in the dark and crossed paths with a skunk). Things are different now of course, snow and cold are no longer great. I was hoping that this sit-ski tryout would be good for me, a way to be back out in winter. And it was, but I was also sad. I couldn't ski with the kids, walk along the base of the mountain or swim in the outdoor heated pool. It seems now like I was being over-dramatic, but I'm not sure, it still hurts.

The event was fun, live auction, silent auction, little bit of networking and a great buffet. I met some people while Theo and the kids were on the hills; so helpful to talk to people who have been down this same road. Advice given, questions asked and answered - but it was not the same as at Parkwood - where any question goes. So for now, I will continue to build my network, and make a plan to try the Nordic sit-ski. It's got to be Nordic - how on Earth will I ever stay warm if I just get a lift up the hill??

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome!! Way to go for trying it out! You should totally try Nordic sit-skiing! It will definitely keep you warmer! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vandervlies family15 February 2016 at 06:49

    Oh boy. Don't hibernate, celebrate winter! is what I read somewhere this pas week. I sure had to think of that when I read this post. Going up a hill with a lift? Ha ha, that is so not you. But glad you had chance as a family to go enjoy winter together.

    ReplyDelete