Friday 11 September 2015

One Good Thing

Today was not the best of days. Mostly because it was a bad night, but I don't want to go into the details of that. I am frustrated, angry and disappointed. My nurse Lisa put a fine point on it this morning. She was astute to recognize that I often wear a brave face around here, not showing what is really going on in my head (and heart). She wondered if depression was starting to rear it's ugly head. But I don't think so. I don't always feel the anger, even though it is just below the surface. I would be better off (and I try) to channel the anger. Into something positive. That used to mean doing something like going for a run. But what is my run now?

It is going to be some time before I realize that everything just takes way more time then I think it should. Prime example: dressing. I had my OTA Kelly give me dressing tips this morning, so including rest time and shoes it took 20 minutes. 20 minutes! To get dressed? Yup. My nurse Nicole says I will get much more efficient, but working part-time next year is looking like the most likely outcome of this whole fiasco. I would otherwise not make it before first bell. Eating takes longer too, just because of the awkward angle that I sit at in my bed. Once I get into my own custom wheelchair I expect that will change.

I get also frustrated by the seemingly mixed messages. Like: You need to eat more fibre, maybe you are eating too much fiber, you need a stool softener, maybe that was too much stool softener... And then there is water, need to drink more, need to drink less, especially in the evening, it may be causing the puffiness in your feet... It is a fine balance, and one that seems to not be achievable, I hope to come close, but I do not think it will ever be mastered. My body is not my body. I was a fine tuned machine (for a 41 year old who works full time and has a family). But now my body is a stranger, an alien that does not follow the rules that were laid out by evolution. One that needs drugs to run "properly" and deal with pain.

My Mom's friend Andrea says the best way to deal with crappy days is to find one good thing, and focus on that to get to the end of the day. Here is one: I started my cognitive testing today. It feels like being in grade 3 all over again, the "gifted" test. I find it very interesting because this is the same test that is used in schools to assess our students, the very same test that my own children took. I was pleased with my results from today, apparently I answered two questions correctly that no one ever gets right. I guess my giftedness, at least some of it, is still up there in my head. Thank goodness.

Another good thing happened today, and I cry as I write because it just goes to show how much Theo loves me. He found my wibbly woo bear. This is Ella's small pink fleece blanket with a bear head and arms sewn to it. She is letting me have it for company while I am away from home and I have been sleeping with woo bear over my eyes every night to block out the lights of this strange room. Well I was, until last Sunday when she got swept away with the bedding laundry all the way to London Health Laundry Services. LHLS does all the laundry for all the hospitals around - even Wingham. So you can imagine how many lost items they get. Well Theo made a miracle happen, and he picked up woo bear this morning and brought her back. So tonight I get to sleep a little better. And I guess that makes two good things.

6 comments:

  1. Anger (at the right things) can be OK, healthy - let it out! The problem comes when it's left to fester and congeal into bitterness (Ephesians 4:26-27). Given your circumstances, some anger and frustration is to be expected, very excusable.
    "Too much fibre" - is that possible?! From our experience, takes time to tune the body's internal workings. A daily probiotic has helped keep good bacteria in GI tract despite onslaught of some meds / antibiotics. In wisdom of Brain Tumour Guerilla handbook: "A clean gut is a happy gut!"
    Glad your champion-hubby conquered the behemoth of the laundry system and emerged triumphant with trophy in hand! Better keep him... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there friend. I hope each day there are more good things to focus on. Sending healing thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Down days, tears...I know it probably doesn't help much, but we all have them. And for goodness sake, you have had a couple of crazy months! Glad your gifted brain is shining through ;) and that you are able to find positives even in the hardest times. I hope that the days pass quickly so that you can really look forward to being home with your lovely kids and Theo. Hope your wibbly woo bear brings a better sleep. I am always inspired by your spirit and positivity amidst all of the changes, losses and challenges you've had to face over the past couple of months. sending enormous hugs and hope tomorrow is a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I wish there was a 'permission fairy' who says it's ok to cry. It's ok to be angry. It's ok to be frustrated. Permission to set aside the brave face when it just doesn't fit right today. Because once we release the pressure of those very real feelings, that brave face seems to fit again. Authentically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm liking your Theo. :)
    What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gifted test. Goodness that was so long ago. I am sure I wouldn't score well now on most days. Following your blog, sending you lots of positive thoughts and energy and wishing you well on your journey. x

    ReplyDelete